Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stop eating junk food - or Jaime Oliver is going to quit!!

A great article yesterday posted here on a UK website says that celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, of "Naked Chef" and "Oliver's Twist" fame. Is disgusted with current British dietary habits and will quit if he can't change his nation onto healthy eating.


The article continues with encounters Jaime has had with regular people's homes and eating habits. And what he's seen is unbelievable.

"One young mum says she has never cooked a meal for her two children. Another does not even know what boiling water looks like."

His solution is to teach easy recipes to these people, in hopes that they'll start cooking their own nutritious food, and share the recipes with their friends.

Do you see the connection here?

Healthy eating = cooking for yourself

Sure, there's ways to find somewhat healthy alternatives while eating out or while buying prepared food, but for the most part eating healthy means you'll have to buy some fresh ingredients and whip up something yourself. This prevents the unseen sugar and extra preservatives from getting into your food.

Now some have two problems with this:
No time!? - We're busy, how can we possibly cook too?
No taste!? - I don't want to eat salad for the rest of my life!

Let me tell you that healthy eating shouldn't suffer from either problem.

For the time-restricted, I offer the following advice:
1. Always cook twice as much as you need! (at least!!) You should be tupperwaring every meal. That way you can cook once, but eat two, three, or ten times! (I've got a chili recipe that'll last a month)

2. Plan your cooking! Perhaps you have an hour or two on Sunday. Get as much cooking done as you can. Preferably for the next week. This can include cooking more than one recipe at once. Most people have four burners and an oven in their home. Who actually uses them all at once?

For those that love taste. I've cooked countless recipes that I'd prefer to the fat and butter-laden originals. Take a look at EatingWell to get you started.


I provide all of my clients with healthy recipes that I've personally tested out. I would never recommend a recipe that I haven't tasted myself. I love easy, healthy cooking. I know if I cook my meals that I'm going to feel better, look better, and I'll save a lot of money to boot!

Get yourself in the kitchen!

No comments: